Chesapeake Therapeutic Riding provides horse back riding lessons and horse related activities to individuals with special needs in Harford County. Therapeutic riding is proven to benefit the emotional and physical well-being of our riders.
Our program focuses on learning riding skills and horse related responsibilities in order to expand upon the physical, mental and emotional rehabilitation of the rider. The gait of the horse provides consistent movement to the rider, relaxing muscles and improving balance. The non-judgmental nature of horses allows the rider to learn to trust and form lasting friendships.
Therapeutic riding improves and provides:
- self esteem, self confidence and self control
- balance, strength and posture
- coordination and range of motion
- gross and fine motor skills
- vocabulary and articulation
- social interactions and independence
- provides positive role models
- offers opportunities to experience success
- a safe, supportive environment to learn
Each therapeutic riding lesson is under the direction of and conducted by a registered therapeutic riding instructor. Unlike most therapies, therapeutic riding is FUN and it produces results!
Board of Directors
Office of the County Executive
Harry Hopkins Company
Shirley Mills - Treasurer
Pamela Overbay - Vice President
Harford Valley Farm
J. Vinton Schafer
Cathy Schmidt - Executive Director
Chesapeake Therapeutic Riding
Booz Allen Hamilton
Nancy Spence - President